[rc5] Personal Proxy Problem

Seth D. Schoen sigma at ishmael.nmh.northfield.ma.us
Fri Jun 20 04:05:13 EDT 1997

Evan Jeffrey writes:

> Is this with or without an active network?

Good question.  With.  I'd imagine that if the phenomenon you describe
(with 127.0.0.1 an alias for the machine's "real" address) is real, a
dial-up connection would count as an "active network" well enough for
it to work nonetheless.  I'm not sure how this would work with
dynamically-assigned IPs, though.  I'm very familiar with Unix networking
practices, but not really with Windows 95 -- so I still fail to
understand quite how Windows decides on which protocol, driver, or
adapter to use for a particular network request, for instance.

I'm sorry to those who don't use Windows 95 or the proxy for continuing
this conversation (however interesting) about the effectiveness or
ineffectiveness of 127.0.0.1 in Win 95, especially after about five
other people have also said "just use 127.0.0.1 to refer to the local
machine".  Maybe the person who asked the original question can just
try it and see whether it works. :-)

> I'd personally rathe run *everything* on my linux box.

So would I, but unfortunately the "real world" liking Windows makes it
marginally useful to have available.

--
Nothing is more dangerous for man's private morality than the habit of
commanding.  The best man, the most intelligent, disinterested, generous,