[rc5] Timeout?

Henry W Miller mill0440 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Fri Jun 20 08:28:41 EDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

> >As Jeff said the other day on the #rc5 channel, the current expire time
> >for blocks is about 3.83 years :-)  In other words, the blocks don't
> >get reassigned until we reach 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and we start to fill in
> >the gaps.
>
> FWIW - We've handed out ~5.9% of the blocks, but only 2.6% have been
> checked in.  And that doesn't include any random blocks generated by
> Tim's client.  I turned in 30 of those yesterday, and another few today
> (testing).  Anyway, I expect we'll get to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF well before
> we reach 50% checked.  Of course the new clients may reduce the number
> of blocks which disappear.

Not nessicarly.  If you are taking your info of how many blocks we have
handed out from the key your are currently searching that is NOT the
case.  It has been made clear (before the DES people switched over) before
that the proxies started handing out random block, and then when they
switched to sequential blocks they DID NOT START AT ZERO!  There currently
is no indicataion of how many blocks have been handed out.