[rc5] off line search...

jonass at lysator.liu.se jonass at lysator.liu.se
Fri Jun 20 15:39:55 EDT 1997

> I was wondering if it wouldn't attract more people to join the effort if
> the testing could be done offline, that is, not connected to the internet.

Using TimC's client on Win95/NT works very fine I find out while
testing it.
I start it as:
rc5.exe -l -a outland.hway.net -a2 rc5proxy.distributed.net -s -k 20
jonass at lysator.liu.se

-l is logging (writes to a file)
-a primary server to use
-a2 secondary server
-s shows status
-k number of blocks to buffer local. The larger number the less you
have to be online

This does not hide it, but that is what I like.
You start it (beeing online), wait until it got all blocks and then
go offline. Later you can go online any time. It will report any
blocks finished and get new ones to fill up the 20 slots buffer.
Unless you use the -o option or the -z option the client will try to
connect every 2 minutes after finishing the first block so be careful
if you have any kind of dial-on-demand.

/Jonas
jonass at lysator.liu.se   a.k.a.  c94jonsv at und.ida.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~jonass