[rc5] Personal Proxy Problem

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Fri Jun 20 10:06:18 EDT 1997

At 03:05 AM 6/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Evan Jeffrey writes:
>
>> Is this with or without an active network?
>
>Good question.  With.  I'd imagine that if the phenomenon you describe
>(with 127.0.0.1 an alias for the machine's "real" address) is real, a
>dial-up connection would count as an "active network" well enough for

Don't worry. It works. I have done the same thing as of last weekend.

Set the client to point to 127.0.0.1
Set the proxy to listen to 127.0.0.1.
Dial your ISP.
Turn on the proxy and let it fetch some keys.
Turn on the client, hangup, and go back to sleep.

When you wake up the proxy will have some keys waiting to send.

Real live hints. If your machine can churn 50 keys a day, use a
buffering client that can hold twenty on its own and set it up
to do so. Set the proxy.exe.ini like this:

Start of proxy ini file>>>>
[keyserver]
ipaddress=rc5proxy.distributed.net      ;address of keyserver
port=2056               ;port on keyserver to talk into
workperiod=30           ;minimum seconds between network accesses
                        ;no care, it's going to take a few(!) hours
                        ;between calls anyway
threshold=99            ;minimum streaming block size (number of keyblocks)
                        ;setting it high will prevent the proxy from
                        ;trying to talk until it has accumulated
                        ;a large quantity of checked blocks
[keyproxy]
ipaddress=127.0.0.1	;this is localhost, your client talks to here
port=2056               ;local port to listen to
                        ;standard, unless you have some software that
                        ;conflicts. If so, adjust your client as needed
timeout=10              ;timeout for dead incoming connection
                        ;no care, you'd better not timeout on yourself!
backlog=5               ;incoming TCP connection backlog
                        ;no care, you'd better not be able to backlog
                        ;yourself!

[options]
minkeysready=90         ;proxy will try to maintain this minimum
                        ;this is just for startup. After the client
                        ;grabs its first 20 keys, the proxy will refill
                        ;to 100. After this happens set it low, and save
                        ;the file. The proxy re-reads periodically.
;minkeysready=1         ;this is the "working" setting
                        ;it doesn't really matter in this case
                        ;just set it low so that the proxy won't
                        ;try to get more blocks until it really is
                        ;running out
maxkeysready=100        ;proxy won't fetch more keys than this value
                        ;this is the max and enough for 2 days(barely)
                        ;on the machine at home
logfile=rc5pp.log       ;filename to log messages to (or blank for none)
<<<<end of proxy ini file

Now hang up and you're set for the weekend. When you get home,
dial up and then set the

threshold=99 line to something like threshold=1

and the

minkeysready=1 line to something like minkeysready=90

save the file and wait a moment. The proxy will dump the checked
blocks and refill.

Realize that the proxy does not save its state to disk(why???) other
than the ini file which it never writes. So... if you have a power
failure or any other crash, all the blocks that you've checked are
toast!

>it to work nonetheless.  I'm not sure how this would work with
>dynamically-assigned IPs, though.

It does. Don't worry. No drivers, no twists and turns. If you can
connect to your ISP via TCP/IP and the standard "out of the box"
setup, it will work just fine. For example, you can ping yourself
to death if you desire to do so - even when you're offline.

>> I'd personally rathe run *everything* on my linux box.
>
>So would I, but unfortunately the "real world" liking Windows makes it
>marginally useful to have available.

Yeah right. I could speak about FreeBSD and the virtues of OS/2 but
I remember this is the RC5 list. Do try to keep advocacy in its place.

  Marc Sissom               | Design Engineer
  DNA Enterprises, Inc.     | Phone: 972/644-3301
  269 W. Renner Parkway     | Fax: 972/644-6338
  Richardson, Texas 75080   | http://www.dnaent.com