[rc5] Personal Proxy Problem

Arvin Meyer onsite at esinet.net
Fri Jun 20 12:26:47 EDT 1997

Hi all,

127.0.0.1 is a real IP address. It is the address of the MS-Loopback
Adapter. This adapter is, in fact, a virtual network device which emulates
a network card. I am not sure how it is configured in Win95, but in NT 4 it
is an installable device. To find out if it is installed just ping it, or
ping localhost.

                   Arvin Meyer

              On-Site Solutions

 "Developing results-oriented databases for companies
   that demand a tangible return on investment."

e-mail: onsite at esinet.net

----------
> From: Seth D. Schoen <sigma at ishmael.nmh.northfield.ma.us>
> To: ejeffrey at eliot213.wuh.wustl.edu; rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Personal Proxy Problem
> Date: Friday, June 20, 1997 3:05 AM
>
> Evan Jeffrey writes:
>
> > Is this with or without an active network?
>
> Good question.  With.  I'd imagine that if the phenomenon you describe
> (with 127.0.0.1 an alias for the machine's "real" address) is real, a
> dial-up connection would count as an "active network" well enough for
> it to work nonetheless.  I'm not sure how this would work with
> dynamically-assigned IPs, though.  I'm very familiar with Unix networking
> practices, but not really with Windows 95 -- so I still fail to
> understand quite how Windows decides on which protocol, driver, or
> adapter to use for a particular network request, for instance.
>
> I'm sorry to those who don't use Windows 95 or the proxy for continuing
> this conversation (however interesting) about the effectiveness or
> ineffectiveness of 127.0.0.1 in Win 95, especially after about five
> other people have also said "just use 127.0.0.1 to refer to the local
> machine".  Maybe the person who asked the original question can just
> try it and see whether it works. :-)
>
> > I'd personally rathe run *everything* on my linux box.
>
> So would I, but unfortunately the "real world" liking Windows makes it
> marginally useful to have available.
>
> --
> Nothing is more dangerous for man's private morality than the habit of
> commanding.  The best man, the most intelligent, disinterested, generous,
> pure, will infallibly and always be spoiled at this trade.
>             -- Mikhail A. Bakunin (thanks to Rabbi Albert Axelrad)
> ----
in the body.