[rc5] (DESCHALL Found the key!)

EvangeList evangelist at apple.com
Fri Jun 20 12:15:54 EDT 1997

Thank you very much for your submission to EvangeList. I appreciate you
sending this to me. I'll consider it carefully for posting. It may take
as long as two weeks for your posting to appear because of the volume of
email I receive.

If I post it, I will BCC you, so that you know when it went out. From the
time I post it to the time the list receives it can be as much as three
days (our server is extremely overloaded! :)

Thanks for your help and kick butt!

Guy Kawasaki

>THIS IS DESCHALL, NOT RC5!
>
>>Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:46:19 -0600
>>From: Rocke Verser <rcv at dopey.verser.frii.com>
>>To: deschall-announce at gatekeeper.megasoft.com
>>Subject:  WE FOUND IT!
>>Sender: owner-deschall at gatekeeper.megasoft.com

>>        "Strong cryptography makes the world a safer place."
>>
>>That's the message RSA has been waiting for us to decipher.
>>And we did it!
>>
>>The correct key (8558891AB0C851B6) was reported to RSA Data Security
>>shortly before midnight last night (Mountain Time).  RSA's automated
>>server acknowledged our win!
>>
>>The winning computer is a Pentium 90MHz, operated by iNetZ Corporation
>>of Salt Lake City, Utah.  Their employee, Michael K. Sanders, was the
>>individual who was running the DESCHALL client.
>>
>>Congratulations, Michael.  And congratulations to all who participated!
>>

>>Many thanks are due, all around.
>>
>>Special thanks to Justin Dolske and Matt Curtin, who took enormous
>>pressure off of me, early in the project; and who have kept the client
>>archives, mailing lists, and gateways humming right along; and who
>>diligently responded to *so many* questions on the mailing lists.
>>Thanks very much!
>>
>>Special thanks to Darrell Kindred and Andrew Meggs, whose programming
>>skill in their respective fields (fast bitslice clients and fast
>>user-friendly Mac PPC clients) is unmatched!
>>
>>Special thanks to Karl Runge, who has spent many evenings into the wee
>>hours (is 5 AM wee?) to develop some outstanding stats and to make sure
>>those stats were posted each morning!
>>
>>Special thanks to Jeff Simmons, and others, whose names tragically
>>escape me, who did some early publicity to get the project rolling!
>>
>>Special thanks to the other developers, Guy Albertelli and Kelly
>>Campbell.  Guy performed a number of "ports", and Kelly produced the
>>first Mac client.
>>
>>Thanks to countless others, who devoted not just their CPU cycles, but
>>their boundless energy as well.
>>

>>I offer both thanks and consolations to our only public "competitor",
>>SolNET.
>>
>>Magnus and Fredrik:  As I have said before, SolNET is a class outfit.  I
>>never once heard you disparage your competition.  We thank you!
>>
>>In a sense, the "win" belongs to all of us, who contributed CPU cycles
>>and clients and ideas and innovations.  We searched less than 1/4 of the
>>keyspace.  Worldwide, over half of the keyspace was searched.  A
>>DESCHALL client may have found "the" key, but you deserve credit for
>>helping to bring the "expected date of completion" significantly ahead.
>>
>>Your Web site gave us a goal to shoot for.  A goal which we never met.
>>Your clients had many features our users wished for.  There is no shame
>>in not finding the key.  But I know the anguish you must feel after
>>putting your hearts and souls into a project for 3-4 months, and not
>>being "the" winner.

> [...]

Please send messages that you'd like us to consider for posting to:
<evangelist at apple.com>