[rc5] distributed.net: a Generalised Compute Resource?

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at unix.ict.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jun 20 21:36:55 EDT 1997

On Friday, 20 Jun 1997 18:33, "Matt J. Gumbley" wrote:
> At 05:54 20/06/97 -0500, Adam wrote:
[stuff deleted]
> Imagine distributed.net as a computational bureau, where customers ask us
> to "run *this* application for a few months". We plug it into the server,
> and all clients are (eventually) updated with new computational engines,
> and parts of the problem space.
>
> This could be one viable way of justifying the bizzare economics of today's
> Internet. Your workstation is sitting idle on your desk at night. If it
> could be "hired out" to perform computation, the customers who require this
> would start to foot the bill for the infrastructure we have.

Which leads to the questions :
1) What about money for this. If somebody uses "my" computer, he
should pay for it (like renting a car you could rent CPU time) ?

2) The security issues must be solved. These jobs MUST NOT ever have
the poissibility to destroy anything from the rest of the computer
system (sorry, win95 :-).

3) What about laws. Say my computer participates in such a net and it
is used for illegal purposes. Who si responsible ?????

> Comments please!
> Matt.

Godd idea. But IMHO these questions must be solved before it can work

> References
> [Day96] "What Synchronous Groupware needs: Notification Services", Mark
> Day, Lotus Development Corp. Available from http://nstp.research.lotus.com
> (Probably)
> [Gos97] "The Feel of Java", James Gosling, IEEE Computer, June 1997
>
> Matt Gumbley        | Email:  |
> Research Assistant  | csa49 @ |                Happy?
> Rm 106, Comp. Sci.  | keele . |
> Dept., Keele Univ.  | ac . uk |  [These are my views, not necessarily
> +44 (0)1782 583438  |         |    those of .cs.keele.ac.uk -- MJG]

Ciao,
	Bernd

--
 Bernd Petrovitsch                  Institute of Computer Technology
 Gußhausstraße 25-29, A-1040 Vienna    Email: bernd at ict.tuwien.ac.at
                     2 is the oddest prime number
 UNIX is user-friendly ... it's just selective about who its friends
 are !!