[rc5] Personal Proxy Problem

Jeff Gilchrist jeffg at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri Jun 20 21:57:56 EDT 1997

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 03:05:13 -0400, "Seth D. Schoen"
<sigma at ishmael.nmh.northfield.ma.us> wrote:

> Evan Jeffrey writes:
>
> > Is this with or without an active network?
>
> Good question.  With.  I'd imagine that if the phenomenon you describe
> (with 127.0.0.1 an alias for the machine's "real" address) is real, a
> dial-up connection would count as an "active network" well enough for
> it to work nonetheless.  I'm not sure how this would work with
> dynamically-assigned IPs, though.  I'm very familiar with Unix networking
> practices, but not really with Windows 95 -- so I still fail to
> understand quite how Windows decides on which protocol, driver, or
> adapter to use for a particular network request, for instance.
>
> I'm sorry to those who don't use Windows 95 or the proxy for continuing
> this conversation (however interesting) about the effectiveness or
> ineffectiveness of 127.0.0.1 in Win 95, especially after about five
> other people have also said "just use 127.0.0.1 to refer to the local
> machine".  Maybe the person who asked the original question can just
> try it and see whether it works. :-)

	Sorry this took so long to reply.  With Win95, setting the client to
use 127.0.0.1 does work if the proxy server is running on the same machine.

	Thank you very much to all of those who helped me with this problem.

Regards,
--
-= JEFF GILCHRIST =-       University of New Brunswick, Canada
E-mail: jeffg at nbnet.nb.ca        Computer Science Co-op

PGP Key ID : 1C3A5801      * PGP Key Available On Request *
Fingerprint: A0 16 46 B9 80 B6 5E 7D  2F E9 60 13 6A D9 0B 66