[rc5] Press inquiry: The rc5 thing

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Fri Jun 20 19:20:55 EDT 1997

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:40:42 -0700, Brooks Talley wrote:

>Hey there.  I'm the test manager over at InfoWorld, and I'm interested
>in what you guys are doing both from a cracking-the-code perspective and
>the distributed, collaborative computing angle.   I'm wondering if I can
>get some comments about where you see the project evolving (I read the
>mention of V3), and whether you think there might come a day when, when
>you install your OS, it asks you "Spend idle time: 1) looking for
>mersennes, 2) helping SETI, 3) etc" or some such.

It's certainly an interesting concept, isn't it.  I see you mention
GIMP, SETI at Home, so you've been looking around.  I think both ideas are
facinating.  Someone else has mentioned the ideas of actually renting
time on our new, distributed supercomputer.  I think that's also a
REALLY cool idea.  I already know some rendering programs can do
similar things on lans, but think what our little idle time network
could do.  How fast could we have rendered Toy Story?  I don't know,
obviously some of the machines are better suited to different things
and the idea of several simultaneous projects is also really cool.

Colin L. Hildinger

Join Team Warped Today and Help Win RSA's 56-bit RC5 Contest
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page