[rc5] Press inquiry: The rc5 thing

Scott Duffy scottd at ican.net
Fri Jun 20 21:41:10 EDT 1997

This "massively distributed" computing model certainly is interesting,
and holds some potential. But I personally will probably lose interest
in participating once the RC5 code's been cracked. The problem is,
even with 5,000+ machines trying to break the code, it will take
several more months or possibly years.

So although trying to break a code for cash will hold my attention,
for a while, trying to find the next prime for nothing but glory will not.
Given the totally massive odds against us (3 years to crack RC5 at
the current rate), I suspect many people will give up after a few months
have passed with no success...

------
Scott Duffy, scottd at ican.net

There are two rules for success: 1) Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln

 ----