[rc5] Press inquiry: The rc5 thing

Jim Doolittle doolittl at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 20 22:30:02 EDT 1997

At 8:41 PM -0400 6/20/97, Scott Duffy wrote:
>This "massively distributed" computing model certainly is interesting,
>and holds some potential. But I personally will probably lose interest
>in participating once the RC5 code's been cracked. The problem is,
>even with 5,000+ machines trying to break the code, it will take
>several more months or possibly years.

Speaking as a former DESCHALL participant, I think the speed and client
number will only increase. We had some really nice numbers towards the end
of the contest, and the clients were becoming faster all the time. I see
the same thing happening to Bovine, you're going to see a big jump in
numbers once all us DESCHALL and SolNet types get cracking.

Now, if we could just get a Mac client that I can run without being
connected 24/7...

-Jim

Jim Doolittle
doolittl at uiuc.edu