[rc5] SOURCE CODE AND REQUESTS FOR OTHER PLATFORMS

Tom Guptill tgpt at kudzu.pas.rochester.edu
Sat Jun 21 13:42:46 EDT 1997

Agreed.  I hold of my users to a "source required" policy for software, and
I can't very well break the policy and expect them to follow it.  I don't
require source for things like Mathematica or Digital UNIX because (a) I
have at least a limited amount of faith that Wolfram & Digital aren't out to
get me and (b) they're staking their reputations on the quality of their
sofware, which gives me some PR ammunition if things go awry.

Since it looks like this policy is set in stone, I guess the
rc5 at lenin.pas.rochester.edu team will be pulling out when the current
clients stop working.

- Tom

On Sat, Jun 21, 1997 at 10:28:15AM -0400, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> > Once we begin releasing binaries for the version 2 clients (hopefully by
> > Monday), we will then start accepting requests for other client platforms.
>
> If support for version 1 is dropped and no full source code for version 2
> (or 3) is released so I can compile it myself in full, I fear you'll for sure
> lose any little support I have been able to offer so far.  Sorry, but I
> cannot allow it on the systems I am using unless I can compile it.
>
> Kris
> ----

Tom Guptill                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
UNIX SA                         University of Rochester  Rochester, NY USA
                                HEPNet:  tgpt at urhep