[rc5] SOURCE CODE AND REQUESTS FOR OTHER PLATFORMS

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Sat Jun 21 15:05:54 EDT 1997

OK, I know this sounds terrible and all, but it's only a small fraction
of the people who have these policies and the obscurity policy is
(IMHO) more important.  I'd encourage all of those who require open
source to take the 1.0 clients and design your own server and start
your own group.  Of course, it'll be hard, but at least you'll still be
attacking the problem and competition is a good thing if kept friendly
(DESCHALL vs. Solnet was a lot of fun).  If you do this and want to
attract more people, just offer more of the money.  As for me and mine,
we'll follow distributed.net...

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:42:46 -0400, Tom Guptill wrote:

>Agreed.  I hold of my users to a "source required" policy for software, and
>I can't very well break the policy and expect them to follow it.  I don't
>require source for things like Mathematica or Digital UNIX because (a) I
>have at least a limited amount of faith that Wolfram & Digital aren't out to
>get me and (b) they're staking their reputations on the quality of their
>sofware, which gives me some PR ammunition if things go awry.
>
>Since it looks like this policy is set in stone, I guess the
>rc5 at lenin.pas.rochester.edu team will be pulling out when the current
>clients stop working.
>
>- Tom
>
>On Sat, Jun 21, 1997 at 10:28:15AM -0400, Kris Van Hees wrote:
>> > Once we begin releasing binaries for the version 2 clients (hopefully by
>> > Monday), we will then start accepting requests for other client platforms.
>>
>> If support for version 1 is dropped and no full source code for version 2
>> (or 3) is released so I can compile it myself in full, I fear you'll for sure
>> lose any little support I have been able to offer so far.  Sorry, but I
>> cannot allow it on the systems I am using unless I can compile it.

Colin L. Hildinger

Join Team Warped Today and Help Win RSA's 56-bit RC5 Contest
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page