[rc5] Proxyper & rc5 client

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Sat Jun 21 16:16:54 EDT 1997

At 12:14 PM 6/21/97 +0200, Emmanuel DECAEN wrote:
>I have a problem using proxyper or rc5 client, my systems are not currently
>very stable, I would like to know if it's possible to save on the local disk
>the results of key processing (ex: the notification).

The personal proxy does not do any disk saving of any kind, nor will the
next version (to be released simultaneously with the new clients) do this.
Note that the new clients will do disk buffering of their own, which will
hopefully eliminate most of the current need for people to run personal
proxies.

>I have to do a shutdown from time to time and everything is lost !
>In 2 days, I have lost 76 blocks... It's really a hard problem.

If you kill the personal proxy gracefully and allow it time before the
system completely shutdown, then it will be able to report in all of its
blocks before it actually terminates.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lawson     <jlawson at hmc.edu>    http://rc5.distributed.net/
Original Organizer/Programmer of the Bovine RC5 Cracking Effort