[rc5] distributed.net - Status [ADMIN]

Fedor Kouranov ted99 at ibm.net
Sat Jun 21 21:38:12 EDT 1997

On 06/21/97 "Adam L. Beberg" <beberg at charlie.cns.iit.edu> said:

>No code will be able to be able to run on your machine unless it is signed
>with strong crypto, not the little crypto we're cracking to show how weak
>it is. There will also be other safeguards and controls using public key
>encryption.

That's what I've thought of last night. Since you are not planning to
publish the complete code, I think we have the right to *demand* that the
binaries are signed by several big, well-confirmed (by PRZ :) PGP keys
(e.g., Jeff's, Duncan's, Tris's, Tim's etc.). At least we will know that
the binaries aren't altered.

Next idea came to my mind too late, but anyway (I put it in PD ;). It would
be reasonable to put up a web page with a table: soft/hard platform, status
of the new version (dev/alpha/beta etc.). This will save an enormous amount
of traffic on the list.

And a diversion... there is an unanswered question in FAQ: Why bovine?
Jeff, we're cuuurious ;-)

 /** Christ Is Risen ! *** __+__ ******  Fedor "Ted" Kouranov  *****/
 /* Xristos Voskrese ! **   \|    ** ted99 at ibm.net * fedor at bu.edu **/
 /** Xristos Anesti ! ****   |\  ** http://enz.siobc.ras.ru/~fedor */