[rc5] SOURCE CODE AND REQUESTS FOR OTHER PLATFORMS

David Sowder davids at cosmic.swau.edu
Sun Jun 22 00:48:19 EDT 1997

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> > >
> > > It was fun.  When client v1 support goes, so do my machine.
> >
> > Maybe before the servers drop support for the v1 clients, a personal proxy
> > could be released that communicates with the RC5 servers using the v2 client
> > protocol and communicates with the clients using the v1 client protocol.
>
> If anyone puts up a proxy like this, I can  keep working on the project,
> though I guess the owner of the proxy (person running it) will be lucky
> enough to collect the prize money.  But that's fine, I do it for the fun
> and principle of the matter.
>
> However, if the idea is for me to run a personal proxy somewhere and let
> my v1 clients communicate with it, and still have no source for the proxy,
> even if the proxy is intended only to play proxy, I cannot run that without
> the source (exactly same situation as running the client in the first place).
>
> Again though, if someone is willing to put up a v1-to-v2 proxy/convertor,
> perhaps with listing who can submit to it... I'd be happy to use it.

Like I said in my last post, the personal proxy could be placed on a
machine that did nothing else (I.e. a 286 or 386 that's just lying around)
and would be restricted to only communicate on the RC5 ports.  In this
way, the worse thing the untrusted code could do would be to send bogus
information to the RC5 servers and/or clients, which would be a stupid
thing for the RC5 organizers to program into _their_ personal proxy code,
or to erase everything on the personal proxy machine's hard drive, which
again would be a stupid thing for the RC5 organizers to put in their code.

This arrangement would in effect be the same as someone else running the
v1/v2 gateway, just that it would be running on your machine.

Maybe to satisfy the policies of an organization such as yours, someone
else would indeed have to setup a v1/v2 gateway that was globably
available, but with an access list as Kris mentioned.

--
David R. Sowder           sowderd at swau.edu                  davids at hpnc.com
Assistant Director of Information Services           Chief Network Engineer