[rc5] SOURCE CODE AND REQUESTS FOR OTHER PLATFORMS

Tom Guptill tgpt at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Jun 22 13:16:36 EDT 1997

One risk here, and one reason why those of us who have gotten burned in
the past are so insistent on this, is that under many UNIXes (UNIXen?)
it's not terribly difficult for a non-root program to gain access to the
network devices, either by exploiting a root vulnerability or by finding a
hole in protection on the network.  Hence, the proxy server could be
sniffing passwords and sending them out in packets that look like the rc5
data.  I'm NOT accusing anyone of this, just saying the possibility is
there.

I could probably come up with spare switched segment and an old Sun4/110
to use as a proxy server, and I think I'd be willing to bend my rule on a
machine that can't see traffic bound for anything but it.  (We currently
have many more switch ports than we're using.)

This would create several limitations, though:

(1) the amount of traffic my tired old 4/110 can handle is minimal
(2) the proxy will need to run under NetBSD/SPARC
(3) I'll need to install NetBSD/SPARC :)

- Tom

--
Tom Guptill                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
UNIX SA                         University of Rochester  Rochester, NY USA