[rc5] Abnormally low processing rate for Windows 95?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jun 22 23:15:28 EDT 1997

I put the Windows 95 rc5 client on my my Windows 95 machine
(tesla.alcyone.com), and after running it for a few days, I'm seeing very
strange results.  The processing rate varies wildly, even when idle (which
is what the machine is most of the time) -- but usually hovers between 50
and 90 kkeys/s.  It's a Pentium 200 MHz machine, and so should be doing
much better.  When I run the speed test in the client, I get a consistent
182 kkeys/s.

Is this expected behavior for the client?  Is it really this bad on
Windows 95?

       Erik Max Francis, &tSftDotIotE / email / max at alcyone.com
                     Alcyone Systems /   web / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, California, United States /  icbm / 37 20 07 N  121 53 38 W
                                   \
     "Covenants without the sword / are but words."
                                 / Camden