[rc5] Suggestion for protocol

Kris Van Hulle Kris.VanHulle at rug.ac.be
Mon Jun 23 11:52:59 EDT 1997

At 02:07 23/06/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Fedor Kouranov wrote:
>>> solution. This way we can determine the fake clients. On the other hand, a
>>> smart hacker will be able to tell 'the' solution from 'a' solution by some
>>> very simple heuristic analysis.
>>
>>Can you elaborate on that?
>>
>>Tris
>
>I can think of one very specific way to do this: if the client receives
>the encrypted message to check along with the keyspace (which I'd imagine
>it must under the new protocol, if there is to be a way to "send out
>blocks which will appear as solutions"), then the client need only do
>something like
>
>if (ciphertext == original_rsa_ciphertext)
>	falsely_report_as_checked()	/* a genuine block */
>else
>	actually_check_block();		/* a fake block just there to
>					   test us */

For fake clients, it's very easy to detect blocks that are known to contain
a solution:
that blocks will most likely be a part of the allready checked keyspace, so
checking
for solution-blocks is merely a matter of comparing the new block with the
previous one.

	uXs

====
By Sending You This E-Mail, i Have Intervened In Your Life.
This May Have Significant Influences On Your Existence.
But Then Again, It May Not.
Anyways, Be Carefull In Your Reply - It Will Intervene In mY Life.