[rc5] Checking for 64 bit RC5 on the fly?

Fedor Kouranov ted99 at ibm.net
Mon Jun 23 13:20:34 EDT 1997

On 06/23/97 Klaus Espenlaub <kespenla at hydra.informatik.uni-ulm.de> said:

>Would it be worth the time doing another decryption and check for the
>other pattern as well? The drawback is obvious: some loss of speed, but
>the gain would be the chance to solve the 64 bit RC5 even before the 56
>bit RC5 :)

For each 56-bit key 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF check a 64-bit 0x00FFFFFFFFFFFFFF?
This will *double* the work. Hey, we want to crack it in this millenium!
;-)

Encrypting with a 56-bit key is *not* the same as with a (similar) 64-bit
key.

 /** Christ Is Risen ! *** __+__ ******  Fedor "Ted" Kouranov  *****/
 /* Xristos Voskrese ! **   \|    ** ted99 at ibm.net * fedor at bu.edu **/
 /** Xristos Anesti ! ****   |\  ** http://enz.siobc.ras.ru/~fedor */