[rc5] Proxyper

Friedemann Baitinger baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de
Tue Jun 24 02:04:16 EDT 1997

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Erik Bussink wrote:

> How do you shut the Proxyper program on a Win32 system, so that
> it fulshes all the processed blocks back to the keyservers ?
>
> What can I do to activate the proxy server, I had one running
> and all the clients used up the remaining keyblocks, and the server
> just keep on sleeping, not sending back the keys (way over the
> threshold) and getting new keys, and the sleep parameter was only
> set to 30 minutes (the proxyver didn't do anything for 4-5 hours).
> Lost 98 computed blocks :-(

yeah sounds familiar, that happened to me too when I first started to
use the personal proxy. I had experimented with the SIGHUP SIGTERM
stuff but that doesn't work as advertised and will most likely never
be fixed in the 'v1' proxy.

What I do now is using another 'feature' of the proxy: The proxy
periodically does a fstat() or something similar on the '.ini' file.
So when I want to flush the buffers or fetch new blocks, I just edit the
.ini file and massage the thresholds accordingly. I have set this all
up such that I just call a shell script like

flushkeys
Usage: flushkeys {start|stop}

#! /bin/sh
#

case "$1" in
    start)
	echo "key buffer flush enabled"
        cp $HOME/pn.ini $HOME/proxyper.ini
	;;
    stop)
	echo "key buffer flush disabled"
        cp $HOME/po.ini $HOME/proxyper.ini
	;;
    *)
	echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
	exit 1
esac

exit 0

---- po.ini ----

[keyserver]
ipaddress=rc5proxy.distributed.net ;address of keyserver
port=2056		;port on keyserver to talk into
workperiod=15		;minimum seconds between network accesses
threshold=95		;minimum streaming block size (number of keyblocks)

[keyproxy]
ipaddress=		;local IP to bind to (or leave blank for all)
port=2056		;local port to listen to
timeout=5		;timeout for dead incoming connection
backlog=5		;incoming TCP connection backlog

[options]
minkeysready=5		;proxy will try to maintain this minimum
maxkeysready=100	;proxy won't fetch more keys than this value
logfile=rc5proxy.log	;filename to log messages to (or blank for none)

--- pn.ini ----

[keyserver]
ipaddress=rc5proxy.distributed.net ;address of keyserver
port=2056		;port on keyserver to talk into
workperiod=15		;minimum seconds between network accesses
threshold=0		;minimum streaming block size (number of keyblocks)

[keyproxy]
ipaddress=		;local IP to bind to (or leave blank for all)
port=2056		;local port to listen to
timeout=5		;timeout for dead incoming connection
backlog=5		;incoming TCP connection backlog

[options]
minkeysready=100	;proxy will try to maintain this minimum
maxkeysready=100	;proxy won't fetch more keys than this value
logfile=rc5proxy.log	;filename to log messages to (or blank for none)

> Does the running of a RC5 client on the proxyper machine cause any
> problems ?

No.

> What files do I need to run proxyper on an Solaris/UltraSparc ?
> proxyper-ultrasparc (renamed to proxyper) and the proxper.ini file.

Somebody else to help here.

Friedemann Baitinger           baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de