[rc5] New Idle-Cycle Distributed Computing List

Ethan M. O'Connor zudark at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 24 05:19:29 EDT 1997

First, my apologies to those of you who receive this
message two (or three) times. People on all three
of these mailing lists have brought the topic up, so
I felt it was appropriate to post to all of them.
PLEASE, however, if I have treaded on anyone's terriotory
(i.e., if you already run such a list, but I didn't know
about it), let me know!

After doing a little bit of searching, I found that there
existed no public listserv for the discussion/planning/
flaming/promotion/whatever of projects such as DESCHALL,
the Bovine RC5 crack (and distributed.net in general), GIMPS,
SETI at HOME, etc. I have created such a list. To subscribe,
send mail to listserv at mersenne.mit.edu containing the phrase

JOIN idlecomp

in the body. If you wish to remain anonymous to people
looking up all of the members of the list, append anonymous
to the above command. The list's address is

idlecomp at mersenne.mit.edu

It is currently unmoderated, and I suspect it should remain that
way. If it becomes at all popular and it seems appropriate, a
moderated super-group will be formed.

I have no idea how useful this will be to people, but
if you think it might be useful to you, join and post!

-Ethan