[rc5] SOURCE CODE AND REQUESTS FOR OTHER PLATFORMS

Paul Williams PaulW at komag2.komag.com
Tue Jun 24 09:13:00 EDT 1997

I just wanna make a note on the below:

 -----Original Message-----
From: Francois Gouget [SMTP:rc5 at llamas.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 4:41 AM
To: rc5
Subject: Re: [rc5] SOURCE CODE AND REQUESTS FOR OTHER PLATFORMS

 - automatically downloading new client software

   *No*
   Are you trying to recreate ActiveX ?!!! Besides the security
issues, I think that people give their CPU resources *for* a project.
This
is also a reason why it would be nice if users just had the choice to
give
their CPU time to Mersenne, Seti, Golomb Rulers or whatever other
project.
Maybe they're not interested in RC5 after all.

[Paul Williams]
Why not?  This may start as a volunteer effort, but why limit it as such.
 I see a future where computing resources are in extreme excess in many
arenas, but few in others.  I see that individuals and corporations will
be "renting" out their unused CPU cycles to organizations (possibly any
of the afore mentioned as well as ... say Industrial Light and Magic for
rendering dinosaurs or something).   Do you really expect that the
"Landlord" should decide exactly what its project is, or the "renter"?

Why not start the development phase here and explore the possibilities.