[rc5] Need help with geting though a proxy firewall type thing

Paul Leskinen paul at csfi.com
Wed Jun 25 01:12:53 EDT 1997

Hmmm, I'd like to see 30-40 more Sparcs on the job.  Anyway, it appears
that the client makes the connection to the proxy server--no incoming
connections are needed. If your firewall is nasty enough to block DNS
requests and the like, you may have some problems, but I would suggest:
1.  checking that the default route is set up correctly
2.  try the client using the IP address of the host instead of the name of
the host.

If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to look at the source for the telnet
stuff--it can't be all that tough!

  -- Paul Leskinen
     Consolidated Systems of Florida

----------
> From: Brian Hechinger  <wonko at blackhole.arkham.net>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: [rc5] Need help with geting though a proxy firewall type thing
> Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 7:18 PM
>
> i would like to run the rc5 client on several of the machines here at
work.
> (it's been OKed by the powers that be) since we have about 30-40 Sun
SPARC-
> stations that sit around from 6pm to 8am doing absolutely nothing.  they
are
> on, they just sit there idling away cycles.  i asked if i could use those
> cycles and they said sure, why not.  well, there is this small snag. i'm
> behind a rather nasty firewall (no incomming connections, period) where
you
> need to go through a proxy server to get to the outside world.  there is
> port of telnet and ftp (called ptelnet and pftp) that are modified to
deal
> with this.  if i can dig up the sources to those two programs, would
someone
> be willing to have a look to see what is involved in getting around the
> firewall??  i know it can be done, you can initiate a connection from
inside
> the firewall, and that connection works great, it's just the rc5 client
at
> this point cannot deal with the firewall.
>
> thanks,
>
> -brian
>
> --
> ** Brian Hechinger ** wonko at mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **
> --
> "Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
>  Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding!  Evil
>  is just plain bad!  You don't cotton to it.  You gotta smack it in the
>  nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness!  Bad dog!  Bad dog!"
>                                 --The Tick
>
> ----
in the body.