[rc5] Need help with geting though a proxy firewall type thing

Brian Hechinger wonko at blackhole.arkham.net
Wed Jun 25 02:22:27 EDT 1997

Paul Leskinen drunkenly mumbled...

> Hmmm, I'd like to see 30-40 more Sparcs on the job.  Anyway, it appears

would be a nice addition, plus maybe 4 Sun 690MP boxes (Quad-CPU 40Mhz Super-
SPARC CPUs, nothing killer, but 16 extra CPUs will help)

> that the client makes the connection to the proxy server--no incoming
> connections are needed. If your firewall is nasty enough to block DNS

yea, i understand that, so it should be do-able!!

> requests and the like, you may have some problems, but I would suggest:

DNS ometimes works and sometimes doesn't, depends which DNS is not broken. :)

> 1.  checking that the default route is set up correctly

yup.

> 2.  try the client using the IP address of the host instead of the name of
> the host.

tried it, doesn't seem to work.

> If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to look at the source for the telnet
> stuff--it can't be all that tough!

yea, it shouldn't be that hard, from what i know of the setup: you need to go
through a proxy server on an alternate port. don't know if it needs more than
that though, i'll try to get the sources.

-brian

--
** Brian Hechinger ** wonko at mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **