[rc5] Some clarifications on my optimized client

Remi Guyomarch rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr
Wed Jun 25 09:07:08 EDT 1997

First of all, ** it's NOT an official release of ditributed.net.**

I've not been in touch with the RC5 developpers, I think they are
already too busy releasing v2 clients and proxies.

Second, be warned that :

- It could be horribly buggy, checking half of the block (even if I
haven't changed a bit of the key incrementation code)
- The Linux binary could be a trojan horse sending your /etc/passwd to
me by email
- The Win32 binary I will put in a few hours on
wwwperso.hol.fr/~guyom001/ could format you hardisk at 4am etc ...

So use it at your own risk.

I think there isn't any bug in my ASM but since nobody (before you) had
checked the source code, but I can't be sure. This is the reason why
I've added a do_test_crypt() function to check the routine with some
test data. (and it was usefull, believe me)

I've released it just to give hackers some starting point for optimizing
the client (Cyrix, AMD, PPro are good targets, but also Sparcs since
they perform quite poorly).
I hope these optimizations could be put in v2 clients when the core
source code will be released. In my mind, it's just a 'technological
demo'.

Hope it helps,
--
Rémi