[rc5] Checking for 64 bit RC5 on the fly?

Wed Jun 25 10:18:00 EDT 1997

On Tue, 24 Jun 97 18:08:40 -0500, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

>I think you missed the entire point of his writing.  If it would take 1
>month (let's just say) to check 50% of the 56bit keyspace, and 256
>months to check 50% of the 64bit keyspace, then, by taking the 12% hit
>on the 56-bit keyspace (so it would take 1.136 months) we would take
>.88 months off of the 64bit keyspace.

Also by working the effort in parallel, we get a jump start on 64 bit.  We could solve it that much sooner.  Instead of searching 56 bit for five months then 64 bit for 20 months getting a solution in a little over two years, we could search 56 bit and 64 bit for six months to get the 56 bit solution, then an additional fourteen months for the 64 bit solution, saving six months total.

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group