[rc5] Checking for 64 bit RC5 on the fly?

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Wed Jun 25 12:32:35 EDT 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 97 09:18:00 -0400, Skip Huffman wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 97 18:08:40 -0500, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:
>
>>I think you missed the entire point of his writing.  If it would take 1
>>month (let's just say) to check 50% of the 56bit keyspace, and 256
>>months to check 50% of the 64bit keyspace, then, by taking the 12% hit
>>on the 56-bit keyspace (so it would take 1.136 months) we would take
>>.88 months off of the 64bit keyspace.
>
>Also by working the effort in parallel, we get a jump start on 64 bit.  We could solve it that much sooner.  Instead of searching 56 bit for five months then 64 bit for 20 months getting a solution in a little over two years, we could search 56 bit and 64 bit for six months to get the 56 bit solution, then an additional fourteen months for the 64 bit solution, saving six months total.

Er, that's what I said. ;-) Of course I assumed a constant rate, but
this could also be looked at in terms of CPU-hours or something, and
the results would be the same percentages I listed.

Colin L. Hildinger
| Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine! |  The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page         |
| http://www.os2ezine.com/    |	http://www.ionet.net/~colin/games.html |
|	   The Official Unofficial AWE32 and OS/2 Warp Page	       |
| 		http://www.ionet.net/~colin/awe32.html		       |