[rc5] minor quibble with stats

Evan Jeffrey ejeffrey at eliot213.wuh.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 25 19:00:14 EDT 1997

>On Wed, 25 Jun 97 15:04:47 , you wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>	Just a minor error in the executive summary.  It says that
>>the "odds" of finding the key in the next 24hrs when it should be the
>>"Probability" of finding the key in the next 24hrs...
>
>>From what I can remember in school, it's the same thing, one minor difference.
>Odds are defined as
>Number_Of_Things_You_Want_To_Happen : Number_Of_Things_You_Don't_Want_To_Happen
>
>Probability is found by taking
>
>                      Number_Of_Things_You_Want_To_Happen
>Number_Of_Things_You_Want_To_Happen + Number_Of_Things_You_Don't_Want_To_Happen
>
>So odds of 1 in 425 is a probability of 1/426.

Perhaps, A) odds are typically represented as X to Y, whereas a percent
should be probability, and B) probability sounds much more professional ;)

===
Evan Jeffrey
erjeffre at artsci.wustl.edu

Let us go.  Let us leave this festering hell hole.  Let us think the
unthinkable, let us do the undoable.  Let us prepare to grapple with the
ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                --Dirk Gently