[rc5] Blocks Outstanding

Matt Steinhoff mls at audiosports.net
Thu Jun 26 17:25:35 EDT 1997

> From: root <marcus at dfwmm.net>
> If another effort to crack is organized, they will have to check
> the entire keyspace rather than simply looking at our stats to
> see how far we've gone and then starting their own search at that
> point. So, leaving unidentified(to the public) holes in the
> keyspace is a good thing(sort of).

    Was the keyspace randomized before the start of the challenge so
that competing teams (where there competing teams) would be competing
on something other than raw speed? The FAQ only partially addresses
this question, saying "There is no statistical benefit to randomly
assigning keys as opposed to sequentially assigning keys."

    Matt