[rc5] Blocks Outstanding

Evan Jeffrey ejeffrey at eliot213.wuh.wustl.edu
Thu Jun 26 18:53:27 EDT 1997

>Ok, this does NOT deal with the stats being wrong....
>
>I understand that, unlike, DESCHALL, Bovine does not expire key blocks. So,
>for the old clients, every time a client shuts down, a key block is never
>returned (until we go back through).
>
>Now, I really like the save-in-middle feature of the new clients. Great!
>Should we, though, try and clean up the keyspace so we aren't leaving out
>key blocks? I'd just hate to wait another 6 months or year only to learn
>that the key was originally issued in May '97.

It doesn't really matter, statistically speaking.  In fact, rechecking a
partially checked block is less likely to find the key that starting on a
fresh one.

It would suck if we got all the way through and found that it had been
issued but not reported, but it isn't particularly likely, and it would also
suck to have the key be 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.  There isn't much we can do about
it.

===
Evan Jeffrey
erjeffre at artsci.wustl.edu

Let us go.  Let us leave this festering hell hole.  Let us think the
unthinkable, let us do the undoable.  Let us prepare to grapple with the
ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                --Dirk Gently