[rc5] OFFICIAL: V2 Clients Are Now Available

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Thu Jun 26 23:49:28 EDT 1997

The first wave of V2 clients is now officially available.

We sincerely apologize for the recurring delays and false starts in getting
these clients out the door, but we did want to spend the extra time making
sure that everything would go smoothly.  As frustrating as it has been to
wait, it would have been worse recovering from a network collapse had we
implemented the code prematurely.

Currently, the following platforms are available for download:

	Win32 (CLI), FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD, OS/2, Solaris SuperSparc,
       and Solaris UltraSparc.

In the near future, you can expect the other platforms begin appearing,
including the much-anticipated Win32 GUI client.

It's important to note that for many platforms, there will be multiple
versions optimized for the various CPU types.  For instance, there are now
two FreeBSD clients, one which is 486/P5 optimized, and another which is P6
optimized.  Non-intel users should test both clients to see which yields
the better performance.

Semi-complete documentation on the client's usage can be found at
http://rc5.distributed.net/FAQ/rc5v2-help.html and of course, the
clients can be found at ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/rc5/v2/

Many thanks to all the coders and organizers who have devoted the
past week or so of their lives to ensuring that this transition would
go smooothly.  As a reward, you can expect to get a full night's
sleep tonight.

If you have any questions, the normal channels are available.  As always,
the best bet is probably the efnet IRC channel #rc5.

For those who are wondering about the strange stats that have been
appearing lately, rest assured.  This has been a simple byproduct of the
occasional crashes we experienced in testing the keyserver code.  Once we
rebuild the stats buffer files from the raw log files, everything will be
back to normal and you and your teams will be credited with the keys you've
completed during the wierdness.

Again, thank you for your continued patience, and have fun!

If you have any questions or comments, DO NOT HESITATE to contact myself
or any of the other organizers.

-David McNett
 nugget at slacker.com