[rc5] More about the new clients.

Fri Jun 27 09:56:58 EDT 1997

On Thu, 26 Jun 97 22:12:42 -0500, Oscar Chang wrote:

>  Nope, I'm planning it for the PM client thou. Right now it will keep
>crunching until all the buffered keys are done and then flush.

It would be nice if you could set it so that when a block is completed the system tries to send it, if it fails it stores it, then tries to refill its block storage, then runs the top block it has available.

I don't think I am being all that clear.  What I would like to handle is the intermittently connected system.  Picture this:

The first time you run the client it downloads fifty blocks.

It crunches a block.

It now has 49 raw blocks and 1 cooked block.

It attempts to connect to the keyserver.

If the key server is available it sends the cooked block and downloads a new raw block.

If the keyserver is unavailable it stores the cooked block.

In either case it then grabs another block from storage and crunches it.

When it finishes that block it tries to contact the keyserver.

If successful, it uploads all cooked blocks and downloads sufficent blocks to fill to fifty again.

repeat until complete.

Even more elegant would be to spin off a separate thread whenever keyserver communication is needed that checks every minute or so until it can send all cooked blocks and receive all needed raw blocks.

A sceme like this would allow even very lightly connected systems to participate in these efforts.

Thank You,

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office