[rc5] More about the new clients.

Fri Jun 27 11:45:13 EDT 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:25:57 -0700, Rene Kint wrote:

>NO, please NO!!!
>
>I run a Dial on Demand system (a REAL one, where the dialer dials out if
>a TCP/IP packet is sent out), and this scheme would AGAIN mean that my
>system will dial out after EVERY block instead of the 50 blocks....!!!
>My phonebill would go skyrocket again..

This should be configurable.  I was pictureing this in a lightly connected system, rather than DoD.  The scenerio that I envision the computer is used for mostly local work with occasional internet logon for email retrieval or web surfing.  With my suggestion the client would use these times, when the system is already logged on, to refill its buffer so that it can keep crunching through the next logged off period.

For Dial On Demand, you would probably want to just reload at fifty blocks.

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group