[rc5] More about the new clients.

Tero Kilkanen tkilkane at cc.hut.fi
Fri Jun 27 19:23:32 EDT 1997

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Oscar Chang wrote:

> >	There is not any chance to change the priority the client is
> >running at? If there isn't, I'd like to know what the default
> >priority/nice levels are on OS/2 and Linux.
>
>   Under os/2 there's no "offical" way of changing the priority. If you
> have a program like CAD Commander, it does let you change priorities on
> the fly, while the program is running. The default is priority class IDLE
> and level 0.

	Well, those programs cause other stability problems, so I prefer
not using them. I'd like to have the priority control at least how it was
in your 1.0 version.

> >	Will there be personal proxies for v2 clients? The 50 block limit
> >isn't enough for my fastest computer, it processes about 75 blocks / 24H
> >with the new client. And I have only one connection to the net for sure
> >daily. I can't use DOD, because I run a BBS too.
>
>   No personal proxies are planned at this time. You can of course just
> keep the completed keys on disk and send them when your connected.

	How many keys can I keep on disk before connection? I need at
least 100, in worst case more.

> >	Is the new client multithreaded, I mean, will it try to deliver
> >the notifications once in a while to the server? If it doesn't, it's not
> >good...
>
>   Nope, I'm planning it for the PM client thou. Right now it will keep
> crunching until all the buffered keys are done and then flush.

	That would be good, because it takes always time to calculate the
time to for rc5-client to run so that it always reports the blocks
between 04.30-06.30, when my connection is open (I am not awake then, it's
totally automatic).