[rc5] More about the new clients.

Matt Steinhoff mls at audiosports.net
Fri Jun 27 12:37:52 EDT 1997

> From: "Skip Huffman" <SHuffman at Atl.Carreker.Com>
> It would be nice if you could set it so that when a block is completed
> the system tries to send it, if it fails it stores it, then tries to
> refill its block storage, then runs the top block it has available.

    Agreed. I think this is the way the TimC client worked.
    My three machines at home (p166, pp200, 486-66), communicate through
a dial-up connection. If the ISP doesn't see traffic on the line for more
than 30 minutes, the connection is lost.
    With the TimC version, I had the client on each machine set to grab
25 blocks. That way if the connection was lost and wouldn't reconnect
they'd have something to work on while it was down. However, since TimC
passed blocks as needed if possible, the ISP saw activity at least
every 10 to 15 minutes and the connection was kept alive.
    I'd really like to see this sort of functionality implemented in the
next release of the client. (After the organizers have had a chance to
sleep off the last release, of course. {grin})

    Matt