[rc5] OT: Platform Wars

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Fri Jun 27 16:13:55 EDT 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 97 12:57:15 -0400, Fedor Kouranov wrote:

>Huh? How about Softouch, Stardock, Watcom, Knightware, Adobe, and, yeah,
>Netscape? How about Gbytes of freebies on hobbes? How about
>nearly-transparent use of Win3.1 and DOS? How about nearly painless porting
>of Unix stuff? The problem here is that people think that the only software
>company on the planet is M$. There is a whole lot of stuff available here.
>Also, OS/2 (with OD and NPSWPS) has *the* most advanced GUI in the world.
>And the development efforts have not ceased.

Not to get into the war here, I agree w/ the above comments except for
one:

OS/2 has the most advanced GUI (the Workplace Shell - WPS) without
NPSWPS and Object Desktop.  Those two products are able to exist
*because* of the object oriented nature of the WPS.  I have 95 and NT 4
on my my machine, as well as a lot of enhancements, but none work in as
integrated a fashion as either NPSWPS or Object Desktop, which work
through and and extend the WPS's built in classes.  It's really pretty
cool.

Colin L. Hildinger
| Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine! |  The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page         |
| http://www.os2ezine.com/    |	http://www.ionet.net/~colin/games.html |
|	   The Official Unofficial AWE32 and OS/2 Warp Page	       |
| 		http://www.ionet.net/~colin/awe32.html		       |