[rc5] block buffering question

Steve Trottier STROTTIER at novell.com
Fri Jun 27 16:44:18 EDT 1997

Congrats on the v2 clients.  It used to take my PentiumPro 15.5 minutes or
so to do a block and now it takes about 11 minutes.  Good work.

I have a question about buffering.  I was getting quite a few errors each
time the client would report on a block and then try to get a new one, so I
set it to buffer 5 blocks at a time.  My reasoning was that it would only
have to bother with a network connection every five blocks and there would
be fewer 15 and 30 second sleeps happening.

This appeared to work fine for a while, until the last exchange with the
network.  The client finished its five blocks like usual and then tried to
make the network connection.

[06/27/97 21:23:17 GMT] Completed block 11C1D5:90000000 (268435456 keys)
                        647.625 seconds. [414492.12 keys/sec]
Network::Error 23/0
The proxy says: "Bovine Proxy KeyServer (Build 2070)"
Network::Error 6/0
Unable to fetch more blocks, sleeping 30 secondsGetBufferError
The proxy says: "Bovine Proxy KeyServer (Build 2070)"
[06/27/97 21:24:35 GMT] Retrieved 5 block(s) from server
[06/27/97 21:24:35 GMT] Block: B2822D:50000000 being processed

Apparently it eventually retrieved the five new blocks successfully and
began processing them, but there is no mention of the five blocks it had
finished being reported.  Each time before this time I noticed that there
was a line saying that five finished blocks had been sent to the server, but
this time there was an error "Network::Error 23/0" and there is no mention
of the blocks being sent to the server.

So, was that work lost?  Will it remain unconfirmed?  Or did they actually
get reported but not displayed on the output?

Steve Trottier
strottier at novell.com