[rc5] block buffering question

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Fri Jun 27 17:59:41 EDT 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:44:18 -0600, Steve Trottier wrote:

>Congrats on the v2 clients.  It used to take my PentiumPro 15.5 minutes or
>so to do a block and now it takes about 11 minutes.  Good work.
>
>I have a question about buffering.  I was getting quite a few errors each
>time the client would report on a block and then try to get a new one, so I
>set it to buffer 5 blocks at a time.  My reasoning was that it would only
>have to bother with a network connection every five blocks and there would
>be fewer 15 and 30 second sleeps happening.
>
>This appeared to work fine for a while, until the last exchange with the
>network.  The client finished its five blocks like usual and then tried to
>make the network connection.

Right now the system is getting hammered.  The 5 blocks thing is good.
I don't know exactly how things work, but I suspect that sending more
than one consecutive block to the proxies at a time helps thing out
from what I understand, so 5 is probably a good number (as it can just
send a range of keyblocks).  I suspect that it will try to report 10
the next time.

Colin L. Hildinger
| Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine! |  The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page         |
| http://www.os2ezine.com/    |	http://www.ionet.net/~colin/games.html |
|	   The Official Unofficial AWE32 and OS/2 Warp Page	       |
| 		http://www.ionet.net/~colin/awe32.html		       |