[rc5] V2 Speed Probs on x86?

Ronald Van Iwaarden rrt0136 at ibm.net
Sun Jun 29 23:29:34 EDT 1997

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 07:08:02 +0300 (EET DST), Tero Kilkanen wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Austin T. wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm new to the list so sorry if this has already been covered, but I've
>> just been reading the huge gains from V1 to V2.  Well, my Pentium 133 was
>> getting 122 kk/s and now it's getting a max of 154 kk/s, now granted I'm
>> happy with the increase, but I'm just wondering why other CPU's such as
>> below have jumped so incredibly much?
>
>	It just seems that AMD's K5's have benefited the most from the new
>optimizations on the clients.

It is interesting to note that the AMD K5 got the biggest increase followed by
the Cyrix 6x86.  The K6 did not get as great an increase which is a bit of a
mystery to me.  My first instinct was that the branch prediction routines of the
K5 and 6x86 were their biggest benefactor.  These routines probably make them act
more like P6's under the present code rather than P5's.  This would lead me to
believe that there is a great deal of opportunity for hand optimization of the
code...  Of course, I could be just blowing all of this out my (insert (least)
favorite body part).

--Ron
      o           Work to live; \   rvan at tiger.cudenver.edu
     /\            Live to bike; \   http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~rvan
__(_)/_(_)___.-._                  \   Note the new addresses!