[rc5] Bug?

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Mon Jun 30 03:13:16 EDT 1997

At 10:54 AM 6/30/97 +0200, Dirk Moerenhout wrote:
>After unlocking an NT 4 server i saw that rc5v2 had quit because of an
>exception blablabla...
>
>On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Dirk Moerenhout wrote:
>
>> On Linux (2.0.30, Pentium):
>> Network::Open Error - Sleeping for 15 seconds
>> The proxy says: "Welcome to rc5proxy.distributed.net (opus)"
>> Network::Error 27/0
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Yes, this is a known problem that is believed to be related to a slight
memory leak in the initial release of the clients.  The clients listed on
the v2 download page with a date listed next to them are re-released
versions that do not contain the memory leak.  However, it is not known
whether the memory leak alone is the cause of the infrequent crash or not.
We are already working on a 2.01 version of the client with additional
features that have been asked for, plus a few other slight improvements.
Binaries for additional platforms and GUI versions for Win32, OS/2, and Mac
are already under development.  Please do not ask for ETA's.

Jeff