[rc5] v2 win95 questions

Jeffrey Thompson jthom at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 30 10:33:33 EDT 1997

Mike McClelland wrote:
>I'm running version 2 for win95 and have been doing around 20 blocks at a
>time to reduce connection time(dial-up). I can't tell how far along I am in
>the set of twenty blocks. The console view no longer says 15 of 20 etc. I'm
>always hoping it's on the last block and then another one starts.
>Can the client be configured to initiate my dial-up connection? If so how?
>I don't want to have the thing finish at 9 AM and sit there doing nothing
>until I get home at 6 PM. Right now I estimate the time till completion and
>try to work out the right number of blocks to get and then try to work this
>into my schedule so I can start another set without much idle time. Very
>inconvenient.
>Are there more command line switches than those listed in the FAQ for
>version 2? Any suggestions would be
> much appreciated.

I believe that you can manage the buffer separately from the thread that is
crunching the keys.  Just before you leave in the morning, open a second window
and run "rc5v2 -flush" and "rc5v2 -fetch" to flush out the completed blocks and
fetch new ones.  You shouldn't have to wait until the entire set of blocks is
completed to do this.

Jeff Thompson
beff at mhv.net