[rc5] Win95 or Linux?

Jason Gmoser noggle at isoc.net
Mon Jun 30 19:38:49 EDT 1997

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:14:31 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm going to start running version 2 at home, I think.  I'm curious as
>to which is faster on a Pentium 166MMX, the Linux version or the Win 95
>version of the client?  I don't _care_ which operating system is better,
>I just want to know which will run the client faster on a basically idle
>machine.
>
>I have 32 megs of SDRAM and 512K of cache.

I ran it here and it seems everything like this runs faster under Linux.
Probably because of the lower overhead of the operating system, I'd imagine.  I
still want to know why right after windows boots and I go into sysmon it says I
have about 56M ram allocated.  What in the hell could it have possibly loaded
that takes 56M?

Jason Gmoser
noggle at isoc.net