[rc5] Offline Client?

Friedemann Baitinger baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de
Wed May 28 00:49:26 EDT 1997

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Brett McCormick wrote:

> I'm using diald under linux to connect up every time a key block is
> finished processing.  It sets up a fake interface, then connects for
> periods of time based on certain rules (like is the dest port 2056).
> It ends up taking about a minute of online time every 25.  I like it,
> works for me.  Although a personal proxy server would be *great*, I
> don't mind dialing up every half hour.

I am also running Linux with a demand dial setup. Since I dont't have
a personal proxy yet, I slow down the dialup rate by starting 5 rc5
clients at the same time. My overclocked P166 which runs at 187MHz takes
also about 25 minutes for one block. If I run 5 processes at '-n 20'
they still use only idle cycles and the effect is that they connect
only approximately once every 2 hours. The only problem with this setup
is that it only works if the rc5 clients run almost synchronous. The
Linux kernel's scheduling does a good job here, however, if some but
not all clients do run into 'Connection refused' or other network
related problems, then they run out of sync and they cause undesirable
dialups.

I try to monitor the execution times via 'top -id10' and use the
Linux 'top' commands 'renice' function to manually synchronize the
processes execution times if they go out of sync.

I am looking forward to put a buffering proxy in place. I'd consider
it an ideal solution if I'd go online only once a week over the weekend
and fetch as many blocks as I can work through in one week. The clients
would communicate with my own proxy on my LAN and the proxy would store
all the results and deliver them when I (or a cron job) sends a special
SIGNAL to it.

Friedemann Baitinger           baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de