[rc5] keyspace flaw

Tristan Horn tristan at ethereal.net
Thu May 29 03:55:50 EDT 1997

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
> If we start using random block distribution now, that'd mean any possible
> competing party cannot gain from what we do (unless they have access to
> the log on bovine).

Anyone who decides to compete with us at an identical rate must be stupid.

You also have to remember that the 1.5% is spread out among the blocks
distributed.  Not all clients report back.

If every single block had been sent in, starting at zero, we would be 4.6%
done.  (My client is currently processing 0x0C... (0C/FF)*100 = ~4.6)

(Yeah, I know we didn't start at zero...)

Tris