[rc5] key reuse (was: Re: keyspace flaw)

Benedikt Eric Heinen beh at icemark.ch
Thu May 29 14:46:57 EDT 1997

> You also have to remember that the 1.5% is spread out among the blocks
> distributed.  Not all clients report back.
>
> If every single block had been sent in, starting at zero, we would be 4.6%
> done.  (My client is currently processing 0x0C... (0C/FF)*100 = ~4.6)

Hmm, two questions on that -

  -  I assume, that key blocks do get reused, but will that be only when
     we finished the whole keyspace without finding the right key?

  -  Are there any stats as to how many blocks have been given out, and
     how many of those have been answered (or better, how many of those
     are still unanswered)?

  Benedikt

signoff

          Hiroshima '45           Chernobyl '86           Windows '95