[rc5] keyspace flaw

jmanning at raleigh.ibm.com jmanning at raleigh.ibm.com
Thu May 29 12:58:28 EDT 1997

>Another fact is, that by using the sequential approach we will be making
>it easier for those trying to compete with us

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the whole point that *someone*
find the key?  I honestly don't think it'll be the team I'm on, but

If different efforts can be co-ordinated together such that noone
on the planet checks the same keyblock as one that's already been
checked somewhere else, that would seem to finish off the contest
the quickest.
I like the idea of the Project Gutenberg, but the main drive I think
everyone would agree is current US law and getting it changed ASAP.

Let's keep in mind the whole point of the contest...

Hell, if there's another effort, I'd love to tell them to start at
0xFF... and work down :)  otherwise, starting just ahead of us
and going forward puts them in a race with us, something that
really doesn't benefit them considering the speed currently
going into the bovine effort.

$0.02 (cha-ching)

James
--
AIX Systems Administrator - IBM PC Server Performance Group