[rc5] Why do my hosts appear dead?

David Hubbard dhubbard at peds-cme.med.usf.edu
Thu May 29 14:51:18 EDT 1997

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Corin Anderson wrote:

> I'm running the rc5 client on 8 PPros at the University of Washington
> (cs.washington.edu domain).  I've had little trouble for the past about 3
> weeks, but something happened last night.  When I query for
> cs.washington.edu, I find that my machines have cracked about 19400 key
> blocks.  But when I get the 3rd-level domain statistics, cs.washington.edu
> is listed about 40th, having cracked only 12000 blocks.
>
> What gives?  Yesterday, my domain was ranked about 27th having cracked
> 18000 blocks.  Why did my rank and block list decrease?
>
> Thanks,
> Corey Anderson
> corin at cs.washington.edu

Hey Corey,
	any chance your machines don't have reverse DNS?  Most of my
machines are med.usf.edu machines but, because I have no control over the
DNS for my department and the person who does doesn't have a clue about
getting reverse address resolution to work, all of those machines show
up in the list with their ip address instead of the 2nd level domain.

Just a thought,

Dave.