[rc5] (not) A possibly stupid idea

Matt J. Gumbley csa49 at keele.ac.uk
Fri May 30 13:38:28 EDT 1997

At 17:43 29/05/97 -0500, Marc Sissom wrote:

>>Now if someone out there has access to a wafer fab plant, and could whip up
>>a custom processor...
>>

>Don't tell anyone, but we are just looking into the possibility of
>building a prototype board using an FPGA(or two or three) to do the
>intense bit manipulation stuff...The CPU would ideally just write and
>read words to/from the FPGAs.

You may find the research done at Oxford Parallel of interest:
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/oxpara/hardcomp/harp.htm
The HARP was also mentioned in a recent issue of "Transputer
Communications" (can't remember which issue).

Matt Gumbley        | Email:  |
Research Assistant  | csa49 @ |                Happy?
Rm 106, Comp. Sci.  | keele . |
Dept., Keele Univ.  | ac . uk |  [These are my views, not necessarily
+44 (0)1782 583438  |         |    those of .cs.keele.ac.uk -- MJG]