[rc5] A possibly stupid idea

Fedor Kouranov ted99 at ibm.net
Thu May 29 18:20:37 EDT 1997

On 05/29/97 Chris Carlin <volkris at cryogen.com> said:

>I was just wondering about the possibility of someone writing an operating
>system specifically to search through these keys. This would (?) increase
>the efficiency of the searches and allow them to run better on 286s and
>other low level computers.

Well, the idea has been floating around, but I feel the general attitude is 'ain't worth'. Essentially, one could concoct a kernel from a client (source available), a modest tcp stack, and a loader (say, from Linux). Is there such enthusiast around?

I don't know how many ticks a key takes, but I doubt that the OS will waste more than, say, 5% of the processor time.

 /** Christ is risen ! *** __+__ ******  Fedor "Ted" Kouranov  *****/
 /* Xristos Voskrese ! **   \|    ** ted99 at ibm.net * fedor at bu.edu **/
 /** Xristos anesti ! ****   |\  ** http://enz.siobc.ras.ru/~fedor */